- Ensure today and tomorrow’s workforce has 21st century global economy skills and competencies to succeed in the workplace
- Ensure 21st century workplaces maximize the potential of their workforce
- Develop partnerships with JobLinks of Durham & Orange Counties; Chapel Hill-Carrboro, Orange & Durham Public Schools; UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke University, North Carolina Central University and Durham Technical Community College; provide 250 TSHRM hours of support (In 2009, our committee completed 175 hours of HR-related community service.)
Activities to support our Goals:
I. Connect Human Resource Expertise to Community Needs
- Provide training on HR topics i.e. cover letters, resumes, workplace etiquette & ethics
- Participate in mock interviews and career exploration activities
II. Nurture "Home-grown" Talent – support career exploration
- Encourage members to understand and support Futures for Kids (www.f4k.org), an on line career exploration tool with virtual career coaches
- Encourage participation in Job Shadowing experiences and Internships (Secondary and Post-secondary opportunities)
- Promote and support Middle School Career EXPOs for local secondary students
Do you have few minutes or a couple hours to help us meet our goals? Just think – if every TSHRM member committed just one hour per year – we would DOUBLE our volunteer goal (how COOL would that be?!). Become apart of the positive energy that makes the Triangle a great place to live, work and play – with HR professionals leading the way!
To view current volunteer opportunities – check out the latest issue of TSHRM's monthly newsletter, The HR Times, and/or contact TSHRM. Please complete the Workforce Readiness Volunteer Evaluation to receive credit for TSHRM volunteer hours.
*Ask about how to earn potential HRCI credit under the Leadership category.