TSHRM is an equal opportunity organization without regard to race, creed, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or age in connection with, but not limited to, membership, committee appointments and candidates for office. All memberships are individual and not transferable.
TSHRM membership is available to individuals with a bona fide interest in the human resource management field. In general, this group includes human resources practitioners, faculty members of colleges and universities, and consultants or attorneys providing HR expertise to multiple clients.
There are no corporate or institutional memberships. Membership is on an individual basis and is not transferable.
All applications for membership are reviewed and must be approved by the TSHRM VP of Membership. You will receive a welcome packet after your application has been approved and your dues payment has been received.Membership application approval may take up to two weeks to process.
Eligibility for membership is subject to the following conditions:
Professional Member ($60.00)
Professional membership in TSHRM is available to individuals employed in positions meeting one of the following conditions:
- Human Resource professionals responsibly engaged in the practice of human resource management, in exempt positions, who devote at least 50% of their time to personnel, human resources or industrial relations;
- Individuals who may have other duties but hold primary responsibility for the human resource function in a business or organization;
- Faculty members of professional rank in human resource management or any of its specialized phases at an accredited college or university;
- Full time Professional Consultants within the field of Human Resource Management within one of the six functional human resource areas (Strategic Management, Workforce Planning and Employment, Human Resource Development, Total Rewards, Employee and Labor Relations, or Risk Management) and with previous experience as a practitioner/professional in human resource management AND hold a professional human resources certification designation such as PHR/SPHR/GPHR, CCP, CBP, CEBS, etc.
- New to the Triangle AND meeting the eligibility criteria described above in last job prior to relocating to the Triangle.
- TSHRM Professional Member in good standing during previous year but currently not employed in human resources.
- Unemployed members or applicants, whose immediate past job met the professional membership requirements (eligible for membership for a period of one year).
- Licensed Attorneys in the State of North Carolina who provide legal counsel and representation to employers (private or public sector) on human resources issues.
Affiliate Member ($250.00)
An Affiliate Member is a member who is affiliated with a company which offers a human resource-related service or product for profit such as relocation services, benefit plans, employment, background services, temporary placement or legal services (other than Attorneys who provide legal counsel to employers on human resources issues), etc.
Not more that one individual per firm may be an Affiliate Member and no more than twenty (20) percent of the total TSHRM membership at the end of the preceding year shall be comprised of Affiliate Members. Membership is individual; therefore, if an Affiliate Member leaves his/her current employer, another employee of that firm may become an Affiliate Member only if the twenty (20) percent limit has not been reached for that year.
Associate Member ($60.00)
Individuals who do not meet the criteria for Professional or Affiliate membership, but have a bona fide interest in human resource management.
Entry Level HR ($30.00)
Individuals who are in a non-exempt, entry level HR position for less than three years.
Entry Level Members pay dues at a discounted rate to be determined by the TSHRM Board and are extended all courtesies of the Association, including the right to vote, chair a committee or hold office.
Student members that are full-time university or college students (enrolled for 9 hours or more) or graduate students (enrolled for 6 hours or more) or who belong to a chartered SHRM Student Chapter. A student member's status will convert to the appropriate membership category immediately upon graduation from school with all the associated rights and responsibilities applicable.
Student Members pay dues at a discounted rate to be determined by the TSHRM Board and are extended all courtesies of the Association except the right to vote, chair a committee or hold office.
Retired Member ($30.00)
Any Professional TSHRM member in good standing at the time of retirement from any firm, organization or institution may become a Retired Member. Retired Members pay one-half of the annual dues of TSHRM. Please contact the VP, Membership if you are a retired member renewing your TSHRM membership.
Honorary membership is available to any retired Human Resources professional upon submission of application for membership and approval by the Board of Directors. Honorary members will not have voting privileges and will not pay local dues, but will pay any required charges for meetings attended.
Local chapter membership year runs from January 1 to December 31. New members joining TSHRM from January 1st and through June 30th, are required to pay full price for dues and membership status will become active immediately upon receipt of dues.
For new members joining from July 1 through December 31, the local dues and discounts for primary chapter designations will be pro-rated at one-half the annual amount of dues set by the Board for that year.
Continuing members will be required to pay the regular price of dues until February 28th, after which time he/she will receive a past-due notice. If the member does not renew prior to March 31st, the member will be dropped from the roster and will be ineligible for prorated dues within that same year. Annual dues for membership are set by the Board of Directors each calendar year.
Annual dues are reduced by $5.00 for national SHRM members who designate TSHRM as their primary chapter.
TSHRM meeting fees cover the cost of the regular monthly meetings which includes meals, speakers and handouts (if applicable).Additional fees may apply for Master Series programs or special events.
Prepaid Meeting Fees Option
Regular meeting fees may be pre-paid with annual dues for the regular chapter meetings (typically held in January, March, April, May, June, September, October and November). This option is only available to on-going members who pay before January 31. As a pre-paid member you will need to register each month, but then you may skip the registration line and check in as pre-paid. Special programs, workshops, and joint meetings are not included in this fee.
Questions About Membership
For questions about TSHRM membership, contact TSHRM.